Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Mauser 9mm C96 "Red 9" Broom Handle Pistol



The distinctive characteristics of the C96 are the fixed magazine, the long barrel, the wooden shoulder stock which can double as a holster or carrying case and a grip shaped like the handle of a broom. Besides the standard 7.63×25mm chambering, the C96 was also chambered for 9×19mm Parabellum or 9mm seen in the following pictures.

My brief encounter with the Mauser was a pleasure. My son and I took the pistol to the indoor pistol range with a handful of my USPSA Match 9mm ammo. Loading the pistol proved difficult without the stripper clips that the pistol was designed for. Infact, I'm not quite sure how you would load the pistol without the stock installed as you may see in the video above. Topping off the integral box magazine with a 10th round was incredibly tough without a stripper clip. However, once loaded the pistol was a joy to shoot. Both my son and I found the recoil super soft and manageable. The pistol shot high and right for both of us but that did not stop up from blasting away. I did notice if you have a "high grip" on the pistol, there is the possibility of "hammer bite" from the action cocking the hammer as it is pushed back. My 1st shot fired bit me, but was easily remedied with readjusting my my grip.

Once we were done with the broom handle we pulled out the German Walther P-38 and then the IPSC Open gun chambered in 9mm for some final blasting. It seemed fit to end the night with a high tech gun after shooting the antique 9mm's.



































No comments:

Post a Comment